February 25, 2011

This is how I ate a loaf of pain de campagne by myself. -vol.2



It's Friday and I'm happy with it.
And I thought I should be done with this series of posts before the weekend.

I've noticed that the pictures uploaded here look more saturated than the original because of the reason I can't know, but actually I don't dislike it.

Well, now I should resume the series, shouldn't I?
Do you remember that we've done with Day 2 last time?


Day 3:
The top picture is the one from the breakfast on the day 3.
I'd decided that I cut slices just before I ate those, and this morning I cut 2 thin slices.
Then I toasted them, smeared butter, put thinly sliced avocados and finished with freshly ground pepper on top.
For this menu, "thin" is good for both bread and avocados.




In the evening of the day 3, I was inclined to have something warm and comforting.
So I fixed soy milk clam chowder.
You can make it easily and quickly with a can of chopped clam.
Can you imagine how the dinner of soup, bread & wine is good?




Day 4:
In the morning, I had to think about what I wanted.
Also as the bread was gradually getting stale, I needed to use my brain to make my breakfast something palatable and exciting.
Then the idea of French toast came to me.
For this one, a bit thick cut worked.
After soaking in the mixture of eggs, soy milk and sugar, I panfried them slowly.
I thought slices of banana and good amount of cinnamon would work, and so did they.




At lunch time, I thought maybe I'd better have some of the rest of the bread for my lunch so that I would be able to skip it in the evening.
This is bread salad.
I firstly met this menu at my favorite cafe at that time when I was a college student .
Since then, this is one of my favorite way to eat old bread.

I put romain lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, sliced kalamata olives, corns and cubed bread.
Then I tossed altogether with salt, pepper and a good balsamic vinegar.
Sprikling parmesan cheese at the last moment is going to give you more flavor, and I did it.




Day 5:
So I skipped the bread the night before and the morning of the day, I had my last pieces of bread for the lunch on the day 5.
As you can guess easily, the bread was fairly stale.
But it was still good enough to be happy to eat when you knead your brain.
Eating the last pieces in bread gratin was a quite good idea.
And who can imagine I used the leftover of soy clam chowder from the day 3 for the sauce!
The cubed bread soaked the soup and got soft, but the top is crisp with melted cheese.
This was very good lunch item you can fix quickly, if you have some old bread and the leftover soup.



This is all about how I ate a loaf of pain de campagne all by myself without being miserable. :)



Stay warm and have a good weekend, friends!

3 comments:

akanée said...

Wow! You elaborated so many dishes with the bread!
I'm inclined to have the salad and the gratin:))
I should've eaten my wrong-gone bread that way!
Oh, I believe avocado goes very well with the bread.
And I have an avocado right now! ;DD
(But I have only "shoku pan" so the avocado will be used another way perhaps;)

tomily said...

>hi, akane-chin. :))
i think i'm really good at eating bread. ;P
to tell the truth, i think i'm not going to feel any difficulty without rice for at least a week, but i'm definitely going to feel terribly bad without bread for such a long time!!
i kinda used all my brain to enjoy the bread for those 5 days, and it was so fun!!

i agree with you, japanese shokupan and avocados are not gonna go well. ;P

Lorena Arance said...

Love your blog.
Beautiful captures.
mm, looks delicious.