February 23, 2011

This is how I ate a loaf of pain de campagne by myself. -vol.1


In January, for the latter half of the month my husband hadn't been here for his business, and I had stayed in our home in the midst of struggle with some problems to be faced.
I was so frustrated and needed to find something that would comfort me a bit, so I bought a loaf of pain de campagne at my favorite co-op store, though it hadn't been planned.
Well, there was actually another excuse to do that, and it was the small jar of honey which a kind friend of mine sent me several days before.
She sent a note with it and it recommended me to enjoy honey with toasted bread.
I definitely wanted to follow the suggestion, and that way I had two big reasons/excuses to buy a loaf of bread.

If I could, I didn't want to buy such a big loaf of bread with my husband's absence.
I wasn't sure if I would be able to eat it all by myself without him or freezing it.
I didn't want to freeze any because the bread was really artisan, and should be eaten fresh even though it gets old, I thought.
Even above all the consideration, I found myself couldn't help buying it.
And I ate it all fresh, a bit old at its last minuites, and enjoyed my days with the bread.

Here is the record how I ate the bread for first 2 days, and the latter part is going to be followed by the next post.




This is the first dinner with the bread.
In the evening of this day, I went to the co-op store for some other purpose to be done there.
But as soon as I entered the entrance, I found myself to go straight to the bread shelf in spite of having prohibited me from doing so in advance.
I got a loaf of pain de campagne that way.

That night I was so pleased with the bread, I didn't cook much for dinner.
Just a simple salad and sauteed veggies.
And a piece of soft cheese and a glass of red wine for the bread.
Simple but yet perfect dinner for myself.



Day 2.
In the morning, needless to say I ate slices of bread with honey I talked about before.
It was awesome, bread and honey well matched.
They were so warm and comforting.
Eating a small bowl of yogurt with some fruits or fruit jam/preserve every morning has been my habit for quite some time.



I fetched a portion of salmon at the grocery shopping of the day.
I thought it would be great with bread and read wine for dinner alone, and it really was.
Though I usually don't care much about seafood, I always think special dinner has to go with some seafood.
On the plate, there're blackend salmon with sour cream and mandarine orange preserve on top and sauted veggies.
A slice of lime is the one I got in the same box that the honey was shipped to me from my friend.
Everything there was very feast for me that night.


And more of the rest is coming soon.

Stay warm and have good rest of the day, friends.

No comments: