January 19, 2011

Our new year's days




19 days have passed since 2011 started, and now I'm feeling a big Monday finally.
Once Mondays have come after weekends, I always feel some kind of relief and calm.
Weekend is almost always fun and filled with something exciting, but it drives me to somewhere restless and unfamiliar.
Sometime from around Christmas till now, those days are a big weekend and today is a big Monday for me.

Anyway I'm ready to look back and talk about how the big weekend was.

In top picture, it shows our traditional new year's feast this year.
They are so-called "Osechi-ryori" and "Ozoni", and they're so traditionally Japanese, they always need me to make an effort to prepare. (Obtaining necessary ingredients is the most difficult and important part.)
I always complain about that, but I somehow manage to serve to my husband whose one of favorite food(meal) is this feast.





Well, in the picture you can see my husband and the oldest (8yrs) and our first cat.
I don't exactly know what they were doing on the sofa, maybe dancing together, I took this without any intention.
They were just cute and full of peace.
We took a family(2 people + 3 cats) picture some hours before this, which has been our custom for a new year's day, on this sofa.





Our newest family member, Maple is looking through the window.
Every cats like that place, but Maple dominates there.
She is the bossiest cat I've ever met and other 2 cats are subdued, so she can enjoy the fresh look of the outside all by herself.





My husband and I did a word game over and over with some tea and snacks.
As we had been so restless over a big concern which hit our heart devastatingly, all we could do to spend time without collapsing to cry was a word game. (I don't exaggerate at all, but it might have been only me who inclined to cry.)
"Scrabbles" was really nice for us.
I made one "bingo" and that victory brought me a faint but certain hope for near future in the midst of that situation.

I finally opened the Japanese snack I brought back to the U.S. last April.
It's so-called "Yo-kan", which is one of traditional Japanese sweets.
It's made of adzuki beans, sugar, agar agar and a bit of salt. (Please imagine very hard version of Jello.)
The one we ate this time had the enhanced salty flavor, and it really went well with authentic green tea.
Oh please don't worry about the expiration date if you're concerned with its long period of having been left in the pantry!
It was the end of January 2011, so it's barely OK. ;P





Milk's pretty face suddenly appeared up on the table when we were eating the rest of Osechi-ryori for our dinner on a new year's day.
We burst into a big laugh because she was as if she had claimed us that we should had invited her for sharing the feast together.
She's always been such full of playfulness, and entertained us a lot regardless of her unintended thoughts.


Thus our new years days have gone, and we've gone back to the swing of everyday.
Happy new year and happy unchanged everyday!

2 comments:

akanée said...

Glad to be able to see your lovely polaroids on new years days! Today's best for me is the one of mori chan & hanme chan:)) I'm a bit surprised to find hanme chan is much bigger than I expected! But he doesn't seem to be fatty. He looks healthy and strong:))
Oh, no, I'll take back what I said; today's best is the one of milk chan's! It is funny and warm, really making me smile. I hope she's doing fine.

tomily said...

akane-chin, thanks for your kind word. :))
as always, of course.
how can i say enough thank you to you?

hehe, yeah, mori-chan and hamme both are so innocent and also much bigger than you'd thought!
mori-chan and hamme's abdomen are just gorgeous, just for your information. ;P

yeah, right, milk is always that mischivous (hey, word collection says my spell for this word is wrong, but i can't come up with the idea!), and that made us adore her more and more!!
that subtle her face is something, isn't it?? ;))