December 7, 2010

it has its season for me.


(taken with sx-70 on 600 film)

today is a densely foggy day.
yesterday was a rainy day.
and i didn't see any sunshine in the weekly forecast in the yesterday's paper.
i don't remember if winter was always like that past few years here in idaho, but this year it seems to have decided to be gray almost all the time.
i definitely need vitamin d3 supplements.


a couple of years ago, i noticed that i enjoy shortbread cookies only in winter.
other than in winter, i rarely want them, or even hate them.
as i've been not good at the smell of butter at all, almost all the time i whimsically wanted something buttery and ate it, it's the unavoidable subsequence for me to be annoyed with the sticky buttery smell on the hands afterward.
croissant is the first on the list for those villains.
i sometimes want and eat it, and i'm bothered in some degree without fail.
shortbread cookie is sort of those villains.
well, except in winter.

what happened to me a couple of years ago is this.
one of my blog-related friends in england kindly sent me a gift of a set of place mats, a bag of tea and a package of shortbread cookie.
i was really pleased with her kindness and the prettiness of the design of those packages, and perplexed as well.
i've never bought shortbread cookie for me by myself because of the reason i told you above.
but i dared to confront the difficulty in this case because of the kindness of my friend.
and the package of shortbread cookie was the most fanciest i've ever seen in my entire life. (the one in the picture above is very that package. so, this pic was taken 2~3 years ago. ;P)
that was really of england.
i've been yearning for england since i was a child.
this state deserved to be given a brave try by me.

and that brave try paid off.
i became to love shortbread cookie only in winter.
i don't know exactly why only in winter.
partly because we generally need more fat in winter, partly because the cold temperature keeps buttery smell from rising up in the air, and likely because a cup of milk tea goes well with shortbread cookie.

one cold winter day with gray sky, having a piece of shortbread cookie with a cup of milk tea and cats beside must be irresistibly pretty treat.

2 comments:

akanée said...

Hi:)
It's already noon, and I'm verrrry hungy, but have no idea what I'd love to eat now... can't afford short bread at the nearby convenience store; instead I could get potato chips. But as you advised me, I will refrain from it. I'd better take better care of myself.

Really nice photo. Especially I love the beautiful plate. That's very like you:))
The picture below, is it one you took lately? Lovely paw!

tomily said...

hey, akane-chin!
ahahaha, you're so you, and that makes me laugh!!
the state that you're hungry and come to the idea of going get something at your nerby "convini(?)" is so much of.....you!!
i know a lot of people who have weakness for potato chips around me.
mori-chan is definitely the one of them.
he has very strict taste for his favorite ones, so maybe you guys will be able to discuss about potato chips sometime in future!!

thank you for the compliment for the photos as always. :))
actually both were taken a couple years ago, and i don't remember exactly when they were taken.
but i can say this.
the table in the second photo was discarded years ago, and i totally forgot the fact i possessed it before picking up this photo for this post. ;P
oh, his paw is still pretty now. :))