December 7, 2010

i was a hopeless poached egg maker.



hi.
today is a cooking consultation day.
the subject is poached eggs.

as some of you may have known that i'm crazy about eggs in recent years.
well, i have an interesting food preference history.
for first 20 plus something years of my life, i loved eggs very much.
i think only protein i willingly consumed was eggs.
and then i changed my diet and gave up eggs.
saying good-by to eggs was kinda tough decision for me.
but i've been rather stubborn and good at keeping promise to my self, i'd been away from eggs for 4~5 years.
unbelievably i hadn't had any fragment of eggs during that time.
then another change was made a couple years ago and i finally got eggs back to my every day food to have followed the advice made by my naturopathy docctor.
since then, i've really adored eggs.
as i'm still not good at taking protein from other food, eggs are the main power source for me.

i may say that i forgot how to cook eggs during the hiatus.
or i should confess that i'm not good at cooking eggs in spite of the love for them.
well, hum, yesterday i had 2 poached eggs on toasted multi grain bread for my lunch and i was so desperate.
i thought i made or tried to make poached eggs.
but they actually were boiled fluffy egg white and yellow yolk balls.
can you imagine what they were like?
they were hopelessly most miserable and desperate poached eggs i've ever seen.
needless to say, they crushed my little heart so relentlessly.

i started to consider about how to make "right" poached eggs after the lunch.
as i've been a good executant of feedback, firstly i doubted if something important was missed or something inadequate was overdone in my method.
i'm using a le creuset sauce pan to make poached eggs, and is that wrong because it keeps water temperature too high?
i always add 1 or 2 table spoon of vinegar to water, and is that unnecessary?
i get together egg white and try to coat egg yolk with it by using a folk, and is that inadequate?
so many doubts were there, but i didn't have any clue.

so i googled and checked some written how-tos and you-tube video tutorials as well.
i was totally amazed the number of people who freaked out over poached eggs.
what an honor for poached eggs to have won such dedication from a lot of people!
but unfortunately for me, there weren't any ultimate solution not to have "separate egg white and yolk poached eggs" there.
and that mean, next time i may have another desperate poached egg.
sometimes i'm a good poached egg maker, and sometimes i'm not like yesterday.
i just need a certainty and promise of having cheerful lunch time with poached eggs.
or should i give up to have those for my lunch?

(today's picture is nothing to do with today's story as you can see. it's a sunny side up!)

3 comments:

akanée said...

Come to think of it, I have only once or twice (really!) made poached eggs! And I don't remember how it went: did I go well in making them??

Coincidentally I made sunny-side up for my breakfast today, which I put on my toast and ate:)) I had been looking forward to have it since yesterday. Unfortunately the bread was supermarket-bought "syoku-pan" from "Fuji Pan" (do you know that? In fact I don't like "Yamazaki Pan", and I prefer "Pasco" to "Fuji"). But I enjoyed the toast with medama yaki (wow! frightening name, isn't it?) on it.
BTW, after I saw your lovely pic, I feel hesitate to post my kind of throw-away pic of the meal.

I wan not a particular fan of potato chips; in fact, I may have passed for a hater of it, but in these few years I seem to have become a big fan;p Yes, some day I will talk about my fave potato chips with your husband! I'm also a bit fussy about how it should be;DD

tomily said...

akane-chin, hi!
how's your back pain?
i closely checked that from your blog (apologize for not leaving any comments, though. ;P), and i hope you'll be soon released from the agony.

well, i think poached eggs are not so familiar in japan, aren't they?
i think i seldom made that in japan.
i made onsen-tamago once in a while, and liked it very much.
yes, the name of medama-yaki is kinda terrible!!
in spite of the love for eggs, i don't eat eggs for my breakfast.
i love something very mild for my breakfast.
also love to have rather mild for my lunch.(so, i eat eggs for my lunch so often.)
and that taste forces me to have breakfast food for most of my meals. ;P

i think i knew "fuji" brand bread.
but you know, japanese bread brands produce tons of kinds of new bread so often, and it confuses me a lot when i go back to japan.
i can't tell which is most yummy or my taste "now"!!
so next time i go back to japan, i should ask you in advance which is worth to try.

so, it's not very difficult to guess that you have your own statement for the taste for food.
you're a very gourmet person!
and mori-chan is kind of like that.
he knows what the deliciousness is.
he is always very honest to his sense of taste.
i can picture you guys are freaking out over food very easily!!

tomily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.