August 13, 2010

we are bread people. - the story of bread, vol.1


(taken with nikon f on tmy400, developed and printed by me, the same for the one below.)

hi.
i'm really impressed that i've kept posting here almost everyday recently.
blogging here has successfully been promoted to a daily routine!
or i may take this as a summer homework for now. ;P


btw, this morning i was thinking what i would eat for my breakfast.
i wasn't ready for it, though it was really a rare case for me.
because i'm a breakfast person (i even would believe in the god of breakfast, did ever exist), i usually am very ready by the time each morning begins.
but this morning was a rare exception.

as i had told you yesterday that i was going to have blueberry shake today for each my breakfast or lunch, i decided to have that for breakfast.
then that made me think about what i would have with it.
having a bagel with shake seemed to be a little bulky (though i eat a bagel almost every morning), and i was at a loss for a substitute.
while i was preparing a cup of darjeeling tea (another daily basis) and blueberry shake, my thought reached the idea of having a (or two) slice of toast.
i grabbed a slice of bread from a freezer and set directly it in a pop-up toaster. (my freezer has a good stock of some kinds of bread constantly. ;p)

when i gave a bite to a bit burnt toast, the crunchy and fragrant surface made me ponder how i have been fond of bread since a child.
yes, i was a bread girl.
and so am i as well now.

when i firstly recognized my food preference in my life (probably 3 or 4 years old?), my family's breakfast had already been bread and something.
and i have never expected my breakfast to be rice and something, which is quite typical in japan.
the type of bread changed one after another.
soft butter rolls, raisin bread, sugary pastries, crunchy toasts, and so on.
our family used to live in the same bag of bread.

that's why i eat bread for my breakfast even though i stay in japan as a little hiatus of the life in the u.s.

the top picture is of the bread i liked the best during the stay in japan in last april.
hard crust, very lean dough, pieces of walnuts and cheese kneaded in; perfectly artisan!
the picture below is of my mom and her favorite.
soft and elastic dough, lots of walnuts kneaded in, smell of milk and eggs; her never changing taste.

we still love to start our mornings with bread, and making fuss over bread through an international telephone call or skype is our pleasure, too. :))


so, today is friday, 13.
being afraid of something cursed, hope you all have a nice weekend. :))
i'll give a post of another story of bread next week.
see you.
xoxo.

6 comments:

Jen said...

i'm enjoying your posts every day quite a bit. recently, i've been eating more bagels and when i go to get some from the deli i often think of you, knowing you like bagels so much. :)

akanée said...

I quit up in the middle of commenting here feeling way too sleepy last night. Hi, tomilym, how're you feeling today? What bread did you have for breakfast? I had shokupan from the nearby convenience store;D Topped with plenty of cheese I toasted it and then put on it chicken ham I made. My favorite bagel makers are both off for vacation now... I have to do without those bagels for a while. Maybe I'll try making some myself. But it's the end of oBon, that is, the end of summer though this hot weather will last for some 2 weeks or so. That's why I'm a bit down and blue, already missing high summer, and have no guts to do anything, just wanna while away...

tomily said...

>hi, jennifer. :))
oh, you're such a sweet girl to give me those intimate word!
i'm so glad to hear that you enjoy my posts and remind me of when you get a bagel.
actually i think of you a lot this season because of blueberries. :) (do you remember we talked over our favorite way to eat oatmeal? recently putting blueberries into oatmeal is my favorite, too!)

tomily said...

>hi, akane-chin. :)
ahaha, yeah, you quit to write because of being drunk!!
you're really a funny girl. ;p
today, i still don't feel very good but today's bagel made me ease up a little. :))

yesterday i put my messy cooking recipe notes in order and came across that of bagels.
and i thought that i might want to bake my own bagels because you encouraged me to do so the other day.
but you know, now's not the time for that!
we'd better to wait until the temperature cools down and our guts recover.

btw, your cheese toast with home made ham sounds yummy!

Jen said...

oooh yes! i remember about the oatmeal.
i recently went to my favorite orchard and bought a lot of blueberries and froze some of them so i can have them this winter. :)

tomily said...

>jennifer, oh i so envy you that you have an accessible orchard where you can get your most favorite fruit!!
now i'm thinking about buying 2 more 2 pond packs of blueberries at a supermarket.
i think i'm really crazy about blueberries now. ;P