August 16, 2010

the charms - the story of bread, vol.2


(taken with nikon f on rdplll, the same other 2 below.)

hi.
how was your weekend?
i hope yours were good although mine was not that good at all.
well, nothing terrible happened, but just the matter of the mood.
i'm relieved having another peaceful monday today.

continuing the last post, today's topic is something about bread.
not solidly about bread, but around bread.

the top picture was taken in one rainy morning in last april.
i was about to eat my breakfast by myself in my mom's home in japan.
on that day, i got a new 2 digit number for my age, and i was not very glad about that.
not necessarily because i didn't think i need an additional year on my age, but the circumstance having surrounded me at that time was hard one.
mom was still in the hospital, her 4 year old chihuahua seemed to have been very nervous about new creatures who had started to nestle on the 2nd floor 4 days ago, in my room on the 2nd floor there are 3 fragile cats, who had been born seemingly a week ago and left mercilessly in a neighbor open land, and found and rescued by me, and it rained coldly.
i had been banging my head on what i could do for them before i left japan a week later.
and i was sitting before a toast with strawberry jam for my breakfast on my 30 and something-th birthday.
it was indescribably merciful.



my dad loved strawberry jam.
my mom loved it as well despite her bit more favor for orange marmalade.
and i have been crazy about strawberry jam straight through my life.
we shared a jar of strawberry jam.
the fragrant smell, the tartness and the sweetness of it connected us tight together as a family.
in this way, strawberry jam knocs me on the spot cuddled with a warm blanket whenever it's on my tongue.
having a lightly burnt toast with butter smeared and a good amount of strawberry jam spread is the most right thing, i thought, to have been done on a special day.
when i bit it, i was sure i was cerebrated though i was lonely.



i had a small bowl of home-made yogurt (as my mom has kept culturing her own yogurt, i wasn't able to root it up and kept doing that on behalf of her during her hospitalization) and apples with the toast.
and, this spoon.

when i was a child, mom spooned food into my mouth with very this spoon.
when i had to leave the home over the marriage, i decided to leave this spoon though i wanted to bring it with me.
i needed to leave something that can be my trace and welcome me back home whenever i make a visit once a year or two.


i was devastated on my last birthday, but i was happy enough with this pretty breakfast.
and the charms turned out to have worked great.
mom was released from the hospital in the evening on that day, two of three cats were successfully adopted one after another by kind people as a result of a keen advertising.
and last one should cuddle up to my mom's lap now. :)


p.s. i know that i've been often writing about my apart family and the reminiscence of it recently.
and that's true too much sentimentalism is something stinky and tasteless, isn't it?
but i appreciate if you are kind enough to allow me to have been.
next i'll write a more tasteful one, pinky swear. :))

2 comments:

akanée said...

Really I've been too sleepy, night and day! So I just couldn't leave any words here in the morning. Now I feel very tired from a day's work (though it is so-called "part-time" job;), but the sleepiness I felt a while ago seems to be away now.
I'm really impressed and envious about your sentiment for your family. You know, I'm not a family type; we, my family members and me, are on kind of good terms but it is rather dry relationship. I sometimes hate my father, sometimes don't want to take care of my mother. I don't have special secret or experience with my parents and brothers. It may be just that I didn't pay attention to the fine details or subtle but important things. Anyway, I envy you have so many things to cherish about your family. And I love reading the story of it. So don't hesitate to do that:)) I'm looking forward to other stories of your memories:)

I learned years ago about the unit of spicy hot flavor, and loved the name for its sound. Doesn't it sound funny and lovely?
But I guess you're taking in toooooo much spice! Are you really OK? Isn't your stomach upset?? I myself tend to eat a lot of spicy food... I add extra pepper to what I eat almost always, heehee.

tomily said...

>hi, akane-chin. :)
i think you're tired from the heat of the summer.
i heard that it's terribly hot this summer in japan, and my mom complains about that almost every time i talk to her on skype.
her face looks really tired.
be careful not to be too exhausted!

you always talk to me about your family that way.
but i don't think you have to feel small about yourself over that.
i think i'm thinking about my family that way because i've been apart from them.
also partly because my dad had been fighting against his disease for long time.
he had been in a serious condition for more than 5 years, and we had to struggle with that situation for that long time.
that hardness must have tighten the family connection whether we hoped it or not.
so, the situation varies according to the person, and we are not on the same line over that matter.
oh, also my character definitely helps me to be that way.
as you know, i've loved to be at home!

oh, thank you so much for worrying about my curious tendency toward spicy food!
yeah, to my surprise, i'm totally ok with that and furthermore i want more!!
so i want you to recommend me some good spicy products of japan so that i can try those when i go back there. ;)