December 22, 2010

a cake i made for christmas in the past year


(taken with nikon fe2 on superia 400)

three more days to christmas.
and how're you doing?
i'm quite slow on everything, and enjoying everyday with my cats and crocheting.


i like to scroll my food portfolio these days, and today i came across several old photos probably taken 3~4 years ago on the christmas day.
i think i was more strict over my diet at that time, and this cake was kinda vegan cake.
i don't remember exactly what ingredients i used for making this cake, but apparently this seems to have been a vegan apple cheese cake.
i didn't really use cream cheese but tofu and soy milk and some other veggie products instead of dairy product people usually use for making an usual cheese cake.
doesn't it look perfect real cheese cake?

actually, i haven't really liked to make cake or that kinds.
for one thing, i don't care for sweets at all, and another thing it's hard to make these yummy and healthy as well.
also as i used to be vegan, macrobiotics or such kind, making sweets were always full of ambition and fear.
so you want to ask me why i made this cake, don't you?
the reason why i made this cake is just to lift our spirit up for the special day.
i didn't care, and my husband didn't ask me nor expected me to prepare a cake, but this unexpected feast must have added the festive feeling to us.


this year, i've already bought a box of panettone to follow my husband's request.
so i don't have to think about cake anymore.
but as store-bought cake made me feel kinda guilty and lazy, i bought a carton of heavy cream last weekend.(though i'm still not good at dairy products, occasional and festive consumption of them are ok now.)
i'll whip the cream with some flavorful fruit liquor and put it on top of a piece of slices of panettone.
i like to do decoration for sweets this way.
it's quite easy, but brings gorgeousness and the courteousness.

the picture right above is the sliced and put on a plate version of vegan apple cheese cake.
this picture makes me sure how i was and am me.
beside the slice of the cake, i put a scoop of soy vanilla ice cream, and the sauce around them must have made from balsamic vinegar, apple sauce, maple syrup, grand marnier and roughly cracked pepper.
i love add a pinch of fresh ground pepper on my dessert and liquor is always necessity for my dessert.

here's my recommendation for liquor for your pantry stock if you're curious about.
;grand marnier or cointreau, kirsch, vanilla liquor, kahlua or other coffee liquor, rum and brandy.
i've never been short of flavor with these above.
promise. :)

1 comment:

akanée said...

I bet 200% this is yummy with those ingredients, especially grand marnier:)))
I have sweet teeth, though not so keen for cake or sweet things as I used to be, but I am such a clumsy sloppy person that I'm not any good at making cake, and not very interested in it.
And christmas feels like a far off event to me, in terms of both place and time, I didn't prepare anything for it.
But I should have bought some cake. As you say, something little but special, not seen on any ordinary day, will lift up our spirit. It's trivial but important.

I'm happy to know you're spending warm, happy christmas:))
Keep warm with your cats! (I'm looking forward to your photos, maybe polaroid ones:)