June 7, 2010

i should've sat at my table to eat a burrito.

taken with polaroid sx-70 on 600 film

yesterday, i had a terrible experience from having eaten a burrito.
my husband and i went to a mexican chain restaurant.
it's not exactly a restaurant because we order something at the counter and pay for it in advance, then we have to wait with a small box that notice you your order is ready when it lights.
but i'd rather call that a restaurant than a fast food store, because all the ingredients are fresh and our order are made just after we make an order. (not prepared before)
i went there for the first time.
i think that restaurant is pretty popular throughout the u.s., but it was really for the first time to go there for me.
even though i've lived in the u.s. for more than 10 years, my experience for dining in popular american restaurants/fast food chain stores is so poor.
when i count how many times i've been in popular dining places roughly, i think i can count that with only one hand for each places.
2~3 times for Mcdonalds, also 2~3 times for Taco Bell, never for Applebee's or .....
oh, it's so nonsense to try to recall these experience.
'cause i don't remember many names ;P

anyway, i went to some mexican place for lunch yesterday.
as i haven't known what they have on their menu, or how big one order is, i ordered something i can eat.
i ordered a burrito which contained shrimp, refried beens, rice, avocados, pico de gallo ( tomato, onion and chiles mixture).
i thought it's the healthiest choice in the menu.

after the small box lit, i got my order.
my husband had the same one as mine except one ingredients, not shrimp but lobster.
i was afraid that if i could eat up a whole burrito after on bite.
i noticed that the tortilla had a rich flavor ( i think the dough for the tortilla might contain generous amount of oil), and its size is huge even though the burrito itself is not that huge.
as i was afraid, once i reached to the fillings of shrimp, avocados, and so on, i felt i could manage somehow.
and i did manage that though it was tough. ;P

i finished my burrito just before noon.
to tell the truth, i was 150% full.
i felt so miserable and i kept on feeling like that for next 6~7 hours.
i've not been good at enjoying being full since i was a child.
i've preferred to be 70% or less full, and i even sometimes skipped my dinner.
feeling hungry has made me feel peaceful.

i ate a salad for my dinner yesterday, really somehow.
i felt that i could or should have skip dinner, but i needed something refreshes my mouth.
because i felt something wrong with the burrito i ate for lunch, i went to the website of the store, and checked the nutritional info after the dinner.

oh my gosh, it was terrible.
really, really terrible.
i felt more miserable to know how much damn calorie it had!!!
yeah, i had a slight hunch that something would be wrong if i ate a whole burrito up.
though i felt that way, still felt optimistic and expected nothing wrong would happen, then i made a damn effort to eat that up!
i was wrong.
i was totally wrong!!
i shouldn't have manage to eat all up anyhow!!
the number of the calorie was as huge as the tortilla!!!
i almost fainted when the giganormous number showed up on the bright screen of the lap top.

ok, that's enough.
i'd better forget the incident.
i went to the gym and ran for an hour on the treadmill this morning.
i hope that's going to make up some.
some for my weight.
some for my feeling.


well, i came across this picture from the pile of polaroids hours ago.
this is the picture of a home made greek style burrito i fixed some time before.
a table spoon of hummus smeared tortilla rolled up lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives and low-fat cottage cheese.
a small cup of coarse ground mustard is on the side.
i'm sure this is much much healthier than the one i had yesterday.
ok, that's enough, again.



today's love letter?
for whom? ;P

6 comments:

Y said...

Ah, you crack me up. I think it's probably safe to say that the food from most chain restaurants aren't going to be terribly healthy for you :)

akanée said...

Ah, you could write a love letter for the greek style burrito (maybe pita?) :)) Yours looks so yummy and sounds healthy!
(BTW I loved that Greek fast-food, giro-pita!)

I had tacos in Henoko, Okinawa. Yes, I had a "tennis training ball trip" and now I'm gonna going to work:((
Oh, about the tacos, it was very good. 5 dollars for 3 pieces. Couldn't get it in 1 piece, so i just had to buy it in 3 pieces, but it's not ready-made, but freshly made (I had to wait for the tacos to be ready for about 10 minutes, but there was a lovely cat and I didn't get bored).
Well, that tacos had rather high-caloried, too, perhaps:p

I hope you're feeling better now. Have a healthy week ahead, tomily:))

tomily said...

Hi, Y :))
oh, i just wanna crack up with you!
i wish if this were a bad nightmare or a story of silly sitcom!!
apparently, it did happen on me. ;P
yeah, we can say almost all food in chain restaurants are dangerous even if they tout their ingredients are fresh.
they never ask me like "excuse me ma'am, but the burrito that you're gonna eat loads fairly generous amount of calorie and are you ok with that?" in person!

tomily said...

>akane-chin,

hahaha, yeah, maybe i could write a love letter to a home made burrito, but isn't that nothing but sour grapes? ;P

oh, so, i'm afraid that i misunderstood that you ate those affordable tacos on this trip to okinawa, but actually didn't you eat those on past trip?
if so, i'm sorry about the comment i left at your blog.
so, what kind of food is "tebichi"?
i probably heard that name before, but i can't remember what it actually is.
is it a pork dish or a tofu dish?
i have been dreaming of eating okinawan tofu dishes some time in future.
maybe i'll need your travel guide around okinawa. ;))

(oh, you're talking about gyro? like pita sandwich? if so, i love that, too!!)

akanée said...

Yep, yep:)) I ate tacos, those lovely tacos on the first day in Okinawa in this trip:) I may have had tacos before, but don't remember well... The tacos I ate in Henoko this time was my first real tacos experience in a way;D
Tebichi... I bet you can't eat that. It's okinawan dialect for 豚足;p The tebichi I had eaten during my first travel there was not so good. But in this trip I had really soft stewed delicious tebichi.
Sima-dofu! I love that!! It's made with sea water insetad of nigari, so it's a little salty but yes, it's sooo gooood! And I love mozuku, Okinawan mozuku is different from those from supermarkets here, which is also from Okinawa it says though.

Ya! Gyro-pita!! Haha, I misspelled it;p It's good with that wonderful Greek yogurt in it:)) It makes nice sauce, doesn't it?

tomily said...

>hi, akanae-chin :))
now that i know about tebichi, i'm sure that i can't eat that!!!
yeah, i've been afraid that there are so many okinawan dishes that i can't enjoy, even though they are so admired as food for longevity.
but i can still enjoy shimadofu!!
i haven't known that they are made with sea water and have saltiness in itself!!
that sounds interesting!

speaking about gyro, i was surprised when i firstly heard what they should be pronounced.
"hee-ro" or "gee-ro", right?
i love greek yogurt, too :))
i think we have almost same taste except for meat, don't we? ;))